I heard about Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill through listening to a podcast (it was most likely JR’s) that was an interview with Bob Backlund. In the interview, Backlund mentions what a great inspiration Think and Grow Rich was to him at some point in his career. Backlund used the book as a guide for his life and to help him think positively. Backlund’s book it talks about a lot of the themes of Think and Grow Rich, according to this inquisitr article.
Think and Grow Rich was first published in 1937, right after the Great Depression. The book is a guide for reaching goals through a 13 step process. It also sites famous businessmen such as Andrew Carnegie, Henry Ford, and Thomas Edison as examples of how the process works.
The steps toward riches:
- Desire: 6 steps
- Fix your mind the exact amount of money you desire (i.e. your exact, specific goal)
- Determine exactly what you intend to give in return for this money
- Establish a definite date to possess this money
- Create a definite plan to carry out and begin at once to put plan into action
- Write out the answers to steps 1-4
- Read statement from 5 aloud after waking up and before going to sleep
- Faith: Visualization of, and belief in attainment of desire
- Autosuggestion: The medium for influencing the subconscious mind
- Specialized Knowledge: Personal experiences or observations
- Imagination: The workshop of the mind
- Organized Planning: The crystallization of desire into action
- Decision: The mastery of procrastination
- Persistence: The sustained effort necessary to induce faith
- Power of the Mind: The driving force
- Transmutation. Turning thoughts into actions
- The Subconscious Mind: The connecting link
- The Brain: A broadcasting and receiving station for thought
- The Sixth Sense: The door to the temple of wisdom
I need to read Backlund’s book, as I heard he starts every chapter with a quote from TAGR.
Currently listening: The Woodstock Sessions, Volume 2 – Medeski Martin & Wood + Nels Cline